Knollwood Neighbors

Living in Knollwood

Knollwood is an appealing place to live because it has many of the amenities of the North Shore, but it's more relaxed and diverse—and carries a more manageable price tag.

  • Knollwood has Lake Bluff mailing addresses and is served by the Lake Bluff Post Office.
  • Our students attend some of the top schools in the state: Lake Bluff District 65 elementary schools and Lake Forest High School (District 115).
  • Most of Knollwood is served by the Lake Bluff Park District, which features a public swimming pool, a health and fitness center, free access to Sunrise Beach on Lake Michigan, many neighborhood parks, and a wide array of recreational programming.
  • Because it is unincorporated, Knollwood is under the jurisdiction of Lake County for police patrol, building and zoning, and many other functions of government.


Public schools

Lake Bluff Elementary School District 65

Administrative offices: 900 North Shore Drive, Suite 220, Lake Bluff

  • Lake Bluff Elementary School (K-5) 847-234-9405
    350 W. Washington, Lake Bluff
  • Lake Bluff Middle School (6-8) 847-234-9407
    31 E. Sheridan Pl., Lake Bluff

Lake Forest Consolidated High School District 115

Administrative offices: 300 S. Waukegan Road, Lake Forest

  • Lake Forest High School 847-234-3600
    1285 N. McKinley Rd., Lake Forest

Public safety

EMERGENCY (Fire/Police) 911
FIRE (Non-emergency) 847-234-2161
POLICE (Non-emergency) 847-549-5200

Police Protection

Knollwood receives police protection through the Lake County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff's office provides emergency response and a basic level of patrol, along with several other services for unincorporated residents.

  • The Lake County Sheriff’s Office offers a House Watch Program to all residents of unincorporated Lake County. If you will be leaving your home unattended because of vacations, funerals, or other unexpected circumstances, you can call the 911 Center at 847-549-5200 and request that, in your absence, the Highway Patrol Division check on your home. There is no charge for this service.
  • The Community Services Team provides many community services. The main goal of this division is to educate the public in ways individuals can help prevent crime and cooperate with law enforcement. Programs available to help reduce criminal victimization and improve the quality of life of residents include Neighborhood Watch, home security surveys, the ROUK ("Are you OK?") personal wellness checks for the elderly and homebound, and more. Contact the Crime Prevention Division at 847-377-4211 to learn more about any of these services.

Fire Protection/EMS

Knollwood is in the Rockland Fire Protection District, which contracts for service with the Libertyville and Lake Forest Fire Departments. For emergencies, residents should call 911 and give their location; the appropriate department will be dispatched.

Learn more at

Refuse disposal

Knollwood residences are served by LRS Waste Management Services under a contract administered by Shields Township. LRS provides weekly trash and recycling pickup as well as seasonal yard waste pickup and bills residents directly. Learn more at or call 844-NEEDLRS. When making inquiries, identify your location as Shields Township.

Disposal of chemicals, electronics, and other special materials is coordinated by the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO). They hold special collection days for dropoff of household chemical waste, and they can refer you to the appropriate agency or company for disposal of many different kinds of household items. See SWALCO’s website for more information.


Most of Knollwood is not in a library district - that means we don't pay taxes to any library and don't automatically receive library cards. We can, however, purchase library cards from the Lake Bluff Public Library for a fee equivalent to what Lake Bluff residents pay through their taxes (the library's tax rate multiplied by the assessed value of the resident’s property). This card must be paid for and renewed annually and can be used at most libraries in the state. Call or visit the library to find out your fee.

Those who reside in the far northwestern part of Knollwood (in Libertyville Township) can apply for a card at Cook Memorial Library in Libertyville, as their taxes support this facility.

Parks and recreation

Park District

The Lake Bluff Park District provides many recreational and fitness opportunities for Knollwood residents, including a public swimming pool, a golf course, a health and fitness center, free access to Sunrise Beach on Lake Michigan, many neighborhood parks, and a wide array of recreational programming.

There are three parks convenient to Knollwood residents:

  • West School Park   view map
    • 3 Baseball/softball diamonds
    • Playground
    • Parking Lot
  • Knollwood Park   view map
    • Baseball/softball field
    • Two playgrounds
    • Basketball court
    • Paved walkway
  • Sanctuary Park   view map
    • Soccer/sports field
    • Playground
    • Shelter
    • Nature walking paths

See the Park District's website for information on their many other facilities and offerings. Most of Knollwood is in the park district's boundaries and pays resident rates for programs and facilities. Check with the Park District about your specific location.

Lake Bluff Park District
355 W. Washington Ave., Lake Bluff

Lake County Forest Preserve District

(847) 367-6640

The Forest Preserve District offers several preserves as well as golf courses. One nearby forest preserve is Independence Grove; call the Forest Preserve District or visit their website for other locations.

  • Independence Grove 847-968-3485
    16400 W. Buckley Rd., Libertyville

Permits and licensing

Vehicle stickers

Knollwood residents don't pay a municipal vehicle tax and do not need a vehicle sticker.


Building permits are required for new construction, additions, alterations, garages, sheds, fences, signs, plumbing or electrical work, etc. See the Lake County Planning, Building, and Development website for information.

You do not need a permit to conduct these activities on your property:

  • Two or fewer garage sales per year
  • Parking one commercial vehicle on residential property. The vehicle can not exceed 8 feet in width or 22 feet in length. All commercial vehicles with diesel engines are prohibited, regardless of size.
  • Private noncommercial events on a sponsor's property (private parties, weddings, picnics, etc.)
  • Temporary signs, such as real estate signs, located on residential property. Temporary signs do, however, need to conform to all setback requirements.

If you are unsure whether your project or activity requires a permit, please call the County at 847-377-2600.

Pet registration

Lake County ordinances require that dogs and cats be vaccinated against rabies and be licensed. Pets must wear their current ID tag. See the Lake County Health Department's website for more information.

Road maintenance

Responsibility for maintenance of roads in the unincorporated area lies with the township (Shields Township in most of Knollwood; Libertyville Township west of Bayonne Avenue).

Each township is responsible for repairing and maintaining the road surfaces as well as maintaining ditches and drainage, and providing snow removal.

For a road question or concern in Shields Township, call 847-234-0802.

For a road question or concern in Libertyville Township, call 847-816-6800.

Animal control

The Lake County Health Department's Animal Care and Control program (AC&C) is designed to prevent the spread of rabies through vaccinations and education, support a database of registered dogs and cats, and maintain a lost and found network. AC&C staff are responsible for enforcing county ordinances and state laws pertaining to animal-related complaints. The program staff investigates:

  • Nuisance complaints
  • Allegations of animal cruelty or neglect
  • Reports of stray, roaming, or injured animals
  • Reports of dangerous, vicious, or biting animals

In an effort to help control the unwanted pet population, the AC&C program provides spay and neuter assistance to low-income residents of Lake County. For more information on any animal control issue, call 847-949-9925 or visit the AC&C website.


Lake County Clerk's Office

18 N. County St., Room 101
Waukegan, IL 60085

The Lake County Clerk's office is responsible for administering elections and maintaining voter registration records. If you move to Knollwood from elsewhere in Lake County, you must notify the County Clerk's office of your change in address.

You may register as a new voter in Lake County at the Clerk's office in Waukegan or through any certified voter registrar. To find a local registrar, contact the League of Women Voters of Lake Forest-Lake Bluff Area (

See the Lake County Clerk's website for information on election dates, voting locations, and candidates.

Join us!

Do you live in Knollwood? Sign up for emails and get all the latest news! (It's free, and secure!)


Don't live in Knollwood, but want to stay in touch?


Help support your community organization! 

Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent permitted by law.